American Idioms & Phrasal Verbs Dictionary The most practical reference to the idiomatic and verbal expressions of contemporary American English!
From proverbial expressions such as “a stitch in time saves nine” to idioms such as “dead ringer” to such common phrases as “put out” and “take on”, idioms and phrasal verbs seem to serve no other purpose than to frustrate and confuse serious language learners like you. Don’t despair! Thanks to the efforts of noted lexicographer Richard A. Spears, mastering American English idioms has never been easier.
McGraw-Hill’s Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs covers the full breadth and scope of idiomatic American English, making it an invaluable resource for ESL students as well as writers, scholars, and public speakers. You will never be more confused by American English again thanks to:
- More than 24,000 entries and 27,000 senses, with concise definitions and at least one example sentence for each phrase so you become comfortable using idiomatic phrases, proverbial expressions, and cliches
- Guidance on the correct tone and social context so you know when and where not to use certain words and phrases
- A comprehensive Phrase-Finder index of more than 60,000 entries that lets you locate phrases by keywords, including common particles in two-part verbs
NEW! With the addition of a convenient Home page, a sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches you can delve right in faster and easier than ever!
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems, Inc.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words thanks to a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Intelligent search integrates several tools to match or suggest what you are looking for:
- Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
- Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
- An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ (‘*’ or ‘?’) to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
- Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
- Use our Voice search when you don’t know how an entry is spelled
- Share word definitions via installed apps on your device
- Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary.
- Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
- Recent’ list to easily review looked-up words
- ‘Word of the day section to expand your vocabulary daily
- The home screen widget provides random words at a glance
- Split-screen support for Android 7 allows you to use the dictionary simultaneously with other apps.
***This is a fully functional trial version***
Get MORE by purchasing the full version of the Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs:
- Permanently unlock the complete features list
- Offline mode – look up words without an internet connection
- Premium Support – Get expedited support for any app-related issues